Gemstone or Glass - What are you Buying?
6 Hours | As 2 x 3 Hours of Interactive Private Tuition
Tuition from a professional Gemmologist
A course specially designed for those who are interested in buying gemstones but have little or no knowledge in the area.
This online course provides basic guidance on the theory of identification via observational indicators for confirming a gemstone you purchase is not just a piece of glass.
A variety of stones are used for demonstration and discussion as part of the course content. The tutor will also be explaining and demonstrating the use and importance of several simple pieces of hand held Gemmological equipment used for identification.
Course notes will be provided before the course starts so that you can refer to these before the course and make a note of any questions arising that you might like to ask during the course.
You may tailor the course to suit Gemstones of preference.
During the course you will learn;
Observation techniques for colour, brightness, light dispersion, as used by the practising gemmologist to assist in the identification of gemstones.
Demonstration: How to use a 10x Lens correctly and confidently and techniques for holding a stone.
Demonstration: How to use a Dichroscope, Spectroscope and Colour Chelsea Filter
A brief overview on Synthetic stones
This course has been designed to be useful for Jewellery Makers, Jewellery Retailers, Gemstone enthusiasts or Buyers. No previous knowledge of Gemmology is required.
HOW ONLINE TEACHING WORKS
Courses are delivered interactively by Zoom
You join Zoom before the course, membership is free of charge.
The tutor will email or text you a link to join your private Zoom course session just before the agreed course time.
See Student information below
Other Related Courses
GEMSTONE or GLASS
Practical Course Extension | 6 Hours
Location: Coventry, UK
In this practical course session you will be applying the observation techniques and using the gemmological equipment learned about in the online theory course.
With step-by-step tutor guidance you will examine a variety of stones from the gemmology tutor’s extensive collection to determine if their composition indicates a natural stone or a glass imitation.
Tutors & Course Fee
What is the course date?
The course date is set by you, so that you can undertake a tuition session at your convenience.
All dates / times of course sessions are subject to tutor availability.
Gemstone materials, for study are provided by the tutor for this course. Both rough and fashioned, examples of which are widely seen within today’s retail market.
About the Course Fee
A large portion of the course fee quoted is paid to the tutor, because, it’s their expertise that you pay for. In addition a there is a small fee for arranging your course which is included in the total course fee.
Where there is a selection of tutors, course, fee's may vary due to individual tutor requirements for teaching.
Course fee payment is required in advanced by BACS Bank Transfer invoice or IBAN for international students.
Vat/Tax is not applicable
Make a Course Enquiry
Advise your details on the form provided. At this stage this is just an enquiry with no obligation to book.
You will receive full details to help you decide if you would like to book the course.
Payment is required in advance and payments are handled safely and securely by BACS Bank Transfer invoicing (IBAN for International students.
Some courses are available to pay in instalments, whereby a non-refundable deposit is required to book your course date. Please ask for details if this is of interest to you.
Once you have booked a cancellation fee of £75* will be deducted from your refund if you cancel your course up to and including 14 days prior to the start of the course once your payment has been received.
Cancellations received within 14 days of the course date are not eligible for a refund, however you may re-arrange your course for one other date if you wish.
Should we need to cancel your course due to unforeseen circumstances we will refund your course fee in full.
* Amount is variable depending on the duration and type of the course. When you enquire, out quote reply will provide the actual cancellation amount applicable. £75 applies to a standard one day course. Gem-A courses are fully quoted prior to booking.
ZOOM ONLINE COURSES | Student Information
HOW ONLINE TEACHING WORKS
1. Courses are delivered interactively by Zoom ( https://zoom.us) You join Zoom before the course, membership is free of charge.
2. Just before your course session the tutor will email or text you a link to join your course session just before the agreed session time.
3. Course notes will be provided before the course starts so that you can refer to these during the course and make a note of a question arising you might like to ask during the course.
4. Session start time options 9.30am or 1pm (GMT London time). Can be tailored slightly to suit.
International students please see below.
- Please ensure your local time is compatible for learning with a tutor based in the UK.
- The course tuition is in English as standard.
- International payments: Please allow at least 3 days for payment, and note the course fee must be received at least 48 hours prior to the start of the course.